Re: [T3] running on 2 cylinders

<x-flowed>
On Feb 11, 2004, at 10:06 AM, BOB2TYPE3S@aol.com wrote:

Gary wrote:
However, I will definitely re-check the wiring tonight when I get home, just
to be sure. I'll also check the connections to the plugs, and I'll confirm
that the spark is getting all the way to the end of the plug wires where
they attach to the plugs.

Yes, check this out, as I ran into this last summer on my son's Roadster. We
were having a miss that couldn't be tuned out, so I remembered Jim or Russ
saying something about the spark plug connector having some sort of resistor in
them that likes to go out. Turned out we had 2 bad ends, and after swapping
them with some good ones (tested them with an ohm meter) we got the miss to
disappear.

If you haven't already done so, check the resistance of each plug wire. They should be right around 1000 ohms I believe. I had one go bad on me last summer with Sophie. I pulled the engine and took off the head on the one side before checking the plug wires a third time and finding one of them bad. It would be weird for both to go bad at the same time, but you never know. The resistor is built-into the spark plug holder end of the wires, so your test for spark with the inductive timing light on the wire may not have picked it up if it was just sparking inside the plug end. I sectioned the bad resistor end and have a picture of it on the web at:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/jaransonT3/ResistorEnd.jpg

Hope this helps. My apologies for coming into this one late, but I was out of town on a winter outdoor educational experience with my oldest son and was away from computers for the last week.

Later,
John Jaranson
'66 Square (Sophy)
'71 Fasty (Jane - darkside project in waiting)
various parts.....don't we all.
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/jaransonT3/jaransonT3/
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/jaransonT3/2004Invasion/
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/jaransonT3/notavwclub/