RE: [T3] gas heaters

On 13 Feb 2004 at 10:03, Gamboa, Gary wrote:

> From a purely functional perspective, it seems easier to
> me rigging up one of those DC power inverters and plugging
> a good space heater (with blower) into it. The gas heater
> next to the gas tank makes me VERY nervous.

The max power rating of your generator is 450 watts. If you diverted ALL of
that to a space heater it would still amount to only a rather small hair dryer.

The amount of energy in a small amount of gasoline is a pretty amazing thing.

The gas heaters, when properly installed, are quite safe. I even worked on one
once which had been installed by driving a hole in the top of the gas tank with
a punch and poking a hose in there for the heater gas feed. That hose fit
tightly, but still seeped gas when the tank was full. The owner had had the car
for over 10 years, using the heater in Minnesota and Wisconsin winters without
incident.

Nevertheless, I sold him a good used, intact tank and installed a Tee for his
feed hose. The odd thing was that this was a '71, when the gas heater was an
available option in the US. In every other way this looked like a factory
installation. So I remain baffled. I saw that car for a few years afterwards,
but that was probably 20 years ago. Last I knew, he was moving back to Minn.
and taking the car, which was running well, with him.

--
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org