Re: [T3] Clymer Manual on Ebay

--- Jim Adney <jadney@vwtype3.org> wrote:
> On 3 Feb 2004 at 20:37, Aaron Clow wrote:
>
> > I know Bentley is king, but this Clymer manual was
> > invaluable to me as well for all its FI info.
> >
> > http://tinyurl.com/2l2cf
>
> I never thought the Clymer manuals even got close to
> the Bentley in ANY area,
> including FI. The only thing close to the Bentley in
> the FI area is the Elfrink
> series, which is actually better than anything else
> I've found.

Here's the take from a relative newbie to the scene
who ended up doing an unplanned top-end rebuild on his
Type 3  before he even started the car...

The *Bentley* is obviously the bible of the Type 3, as
has been said many times on this list. It has all the
specs, info, and procedures you need to do just about
anything on the car. My problem with it is that from
my perception it is VERY light on step-by-step stuff.

I used the *idiot's guide* as well, and that is just
the opposite, but it is incredibly tough to navigate
around for the Type 3 stuff (if you have this, go to
page 32... If you have this, go to page 63, then come
back here and follow the same instructions for the
B**tle, except if you have a 73, in which case you'll
need to go to page 114 when you finish with page 32).
Ugh... Still, if you can find what you need, it's
great for the step-by-step stuff.

The *Elfrink* I honestly haven't spent that much time
with, as it seemed to be quite heavy reading for what
I needed at the time. I have hardly ever referred to
it.

The *Clymer* I found to be extremely easy to use for
the FI stuff. Lots of nice pictures, clearly laid-out
steps and explanations, etc... And actually, I think
it  was the Clymer FI section that was put in a PDF
and was the "official FI reading" for the type3.org
website.

I used that as well and relied on it quite heavily,
along with the FI PDF I put together (and *cough*
available on my website) from the Glenn's Fuel
Injection book, which is another great FI resource.

What else... The *Wilson* air-cooled engine book was
great for the hard-core engine rebuild stuff. The
actual putting the big pieces back together...

And a $50 digital camera was also extremely valuable
in helping to put back all the electrical parts and
connections where they belonged...

Anyway, that's just my take on it with fresh newbie
eyes...

The Bentley is the book I keep handy at ALL times, but
the other books definitely have their uses (except the
Haynes, which to me seemed to be a complete waste of
paper)...

Just my $.02 from limited experience...

 (and I think it was Greg who put together a whole PDF
file on fuel injection based upon the Clymer stuff)...

=====