Re: [T3] corvair in a vw

I've been doing a little reading- some condensed info:

60-64 Corvairs: Swingaxle. Rear suspension similar to Beetle, some
additions over time included travel limiting straps. In '64, a camber
compensating spring was introduced.

1965: Ralph Nader publishes Unsafe at any Speed

65-69 Corvairs: IRS, coil springs and upper and lower control arms
(the half-shaft was actually the upper arm)

Essentially, Nader branded the early Corvairs a menace, which is only
partially true. This car could be a menace if tire pressures were not
right AND they were driven to the limits of their handling by
inexperienced (with the type) drivers. Under those conditions, any car
can be deadly.

I maintain my earlier assertion that Nader was instrumental in waking
up the American public to the issue of auto safety... and like many
activist types, he took something that was a potential problem and
blew it completely out of proportion and gave only his side of the
story. There are elements of truths in Unsafe at any Speed, and there
are, well, elements of Nader's agenda which cloud the whole truth. The
Dateline exposes on the rigged-to-explode GM trucks, the runaway Audi
5000s, and the flipping Suzuki Samurais are the descendants of Nader's
sensationalism.

[and now for a slightly off-topic lecture]

By the way, I have to make a point about the Audi 5000 "sudden
acceleration" mess: there was NOTHING wrong with those cars. In 1986,
Car and Driver proved this by conducting this experiment:

-Take 1 Audi 5000 Automatic (this only happened in Autos)
-Dozens of test subject drivers ov varying levels of skill
-Rig the idle speed control motor (which was known defective) to
produce a higher than normal idle speed, and put it on a hidden switch
next to the observer's seat.

They had a couple of drivers pound on the gas when startled by the
higher idle, and the drivers swore up and down that they had their
foot on the brake. Video footage proved they had not been stomping on
the brake pedal in response, as asserted (no brake lights came on).
The baking system was functioning normally. No car can overcome the
full application of brake, even at full throttle, from a standstill.

But ABCs 20/20 nearly destroyed Audi sales un the US in response, and
Audi did themselves no favors by not responding properly (as it seems
that VWAG does with any possible defect that hits the press) to these
allegations.