Re: [T3] leaky transmission. [ strange one.. ]

On 31 Aug 2004 at 0:27, fess wrote:

> So, my new '67, has a leaky transmission.
>
> it's supposedly a newly rebuilt transmission from rancho transmissions.
> it's swing axle.

> on the drivers side, the axle retainer, has theses little divots around it,
> that seem to be spot welds, and the fluid seems to be leaking out of that.

I'm not doing a good job of visualizing that part right now. I'm going to have
to look at my Bentley tonight. If you have a Bentley, why not post a reference
from it so we can all be sure we're all talking about the same part.

> It doesn't look like the axle retainer can be replaced without replacing
> the whole axle.  there's  a flange welded on it that connects to the
> suspension, and that looks like it would have to be removed and re
> welded to replace the retainer plate.

If this is the part I'm thinking of, then it only comes off after the axle tube
comes off, which means after the left brake and axle bearing have all been
removed. You should not have to cut and reweld anything, but it's still a big
job.

> So, for now we're going to try and turn the "leaky welds" from the bottom
> side to the top, in the hopes that it will leak less.

There may be a paper gasket or O-ring in there that is torn, or was omitted. If
you took this apart, in place, you might be able to cut a new gasket in one
place and then put the cut at the top and use some gasket compound. Again, I
need to look at the manual to see what we're talking about.

> I'm also going to contact the previous owner to see if he put them on
> or if the tranny came with the axles attached from rancho. Perhaps I can
> get a part from rancho transmission to fix it.

A swing axle transmission would certainly have come with all this already
attached to it. You might want to check to see if Rancho would still fix the
leak under warrantee. I don't know anything about their reputation, but if your
mechanic is good, you might be better off just getting them to exchange this
part with you.

> The mechanic I'm working with says that the axles retainers are
> actually from a '68 as it was the only year where the flange on the
> axle retainer came out and then bent back 90 degrees.

I'm not familiar with this change, but it sounds like something what VW might
have done to stiffen up that plate, which would be a good thing. If he's right
about this, it sounds like you have a well-informed mechanic.

--
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org