[T3] trip report...not quite to hershey :(

Hi guys,

As greg posted, I had some problems on my trip...I thought I had everything
covered...

I was driving down the road, about 150 miles into a 400 mile trip to invade.
I had just gassed up about 15 minutes earlier....great mileage-35 mpg.

The squareback started behaving a little weird, not quite responding to the
gas pedal as it was earlier. It was kind of like I was climbing a steep
incline, but I wasn't.

I tried to drive through it...thinking I was being too sensitive. But it
definitely continued. So I pulled over, off the highway into a Dunkin Donuts
parking lot. (New Haven, CT).

I got a muffin/bathroom rest. Let the engine cool a little bit.

I checked the engine-nothing looked immediately out of the ordinary-I was
thinking maybe a wire came loose.

I then read Muir, he suggested checking the grounds. So I did that,
tightened what I could see, took the number 11 ground off, cleaned around
it(it was a little greasy) the reconnected.

I went to restart-and it didn't want to idle, I had to keep pumping the gas.

I re-read Muir, checked my Bentley-couldn't figure it out. This guy in the
parking lot sends me down the road to a mechanic. "Tell him Linda's nephew
sent you", I went down he checked a couple things- he was busy. He suggested
replacing the distributor cap-the contacts inside looked dirty. Changed the
rotor too....he thought it was a problem with compression or maybe valve
adjustment. No time to look at it-sent me down the road. I went down the
road to another mechanic.

I thought I was in a set for the "Sopranos"-with the way these guys were
talking. Then I saw an autographed photo on the wall of one of the guys from
the show.

"Do you work on VW's?"
"Hey we're mechanics we work on all cars. We'll take care of you?"

I waited here about 20 minutes...listening to a lot of shouting between
employees, owner and his wife over the phone, a thrown cell phone...I
figured this is not where I want to be.

I drove down the road to another mechanic. This guy's shop had burned down
and he was in the process of rebuilding/cleaning. Power surge on the
computer, caused a fire.

Anyway he was willing to help me out. He listened to it...we
checked/replaced spark plugs, rotor, & points. Now it was running, but it
would race at idle-up and down. I test drove it, and it seemed fine...only
problem at idle. This is when I called Greg. We talked for a couple minutes.
So we decided to try it-if it is going ok-just make it to Hershey.

I went down the road, about 10-15 miles, when I heard a boom kind of noise,
and the engine just stopped. It would not start again. I coasted to an off
ramp and got off the highway. I didn't feel safe working on it here, so I
needed to get it towed somewhere.

I called Greg again-he hooked me up with some phone numbers from AIRS. I
made some calls, and found a mechanic recommended in Winsted. I got towed up
to Winsted(wrong direction with Hershey as my ultimate destination).

This whole process took a long time.

I got up to Mechanics Advantage in Winsted. The owner-Fred, was having a Bus
Night-working on restoring some buses for himself, son and a friend. He
worked with me trying to diagnose the problem for a few hours...until around
12:30. Amazingly nice guy. This guy has all those crazy electronic tools
that you see in the Bentley!

So I had already changed the spark plugs, rotor, dist cap, & points. He
found the problem for not starting-if I remember correctly the temp sensor
had become disconnected, and the #3 fuel injector had come off. Simple
things to see-but at the time I was tired, in the hot sun, and didn't feel
comfortable looking at my engine at all on the side of this busy road. I'm
thinking the injector may have been knocked loose when replacing the spark
plugs, then came off when driving, somehow caused an explosion in the engine
compartment, and knocked the sensor loose. This explained the smoky smell.

We got it running again-but it didn't idle properly still surging, and 3&4
were not firing very well(when we disconnected the spark plug wire-there
wasn't any difference in the engine sound).

We checked the throttle valve switch, checked timing, dwell, valve
clearance-3&4 were a little bit tight, but not enough to cause this problem,
this seemed to get them to fire better. We checked for vacuum leaks by
spraying some carb cleaner on all the connections in the engine
compartment.WE checked fuel pressure-steady at ~32psi. We tried adjusting
the idles speed adjustment-the thought being that the idle speed setting was
fighting the ECU. We checked and saw that the fuel injectors were firing.
It was idling around 1500, we couldn't get it go any lower consistently.

Side question-when this screw is screwed in as tight as it goes-shouldn't
the engine have trouble idling? Or not idle at all? We tightened this all
the way, and the engine kept running no problem.

According to Bentley-trouble shooting this Ch. 4, sec 10.3, pg 21,

Engine surges at idle- hose between aux air regulator & intake air dist
detached. This is not the case.

Uneven idling injector pairs or their connections interchanged-this was not
the case, the grey boots were on 2 & 4, and the black on 1 & 3.

To try to end this email...We got it running-but it still surges, we
finished around 12:30/1am. Unfortunatly I didn't think I could make it to
invade. I started heading home. I drive about 45 minutes, it drove fine. I
was tired I pulled onto a side dirt road, and tried to catch a little sleep.
This is in backwoods Connecticut. About 30-45 minutes later two cop cars
with blue lights flashing came to get me out of there...with questions like,
"Have you been drinking?"
"Yes I had a ginger ale."
"You sure you haven't been drinking anything else, you look kind of out of
it?"
"No-I'm kind of out of it because you just woke me up, and I've been going
since 6 this morning"

I finished getting home around 4am. I didn't make it to Hershey, but I did
meet a great guy who love VW's. I will be back down to visit him. Now I have
two years toget ready for the next one.

Sorry to go on so long...anyone have any ideas on solving the surging or
know the answer to my 'side question'.

Thanks for listening...

-kevin

'65 kombi