Re: [T3] Leak

<x-flowed>Jim Adney wrote:
On 29 Apr 2004 at 23:39, Daniel Baum wrote:

Since I wrote my last message, I went and had a whiff of GL-5 and ATF, and I
actually think that the leak smells more like ATF+crud that GL-5+crud. I'll
still open up the diff hole, just in case.

ATF is much more likely, and that may actually stop once you've driven it a bit and warmed everything up.

This morning I went out and had a good look at what's left of the car after yesterday's long drive:

The leak is _definitely_ not GL-5, thank goodness. I opened it up and clean oil dribbled out. It's well up to the mark.

Both ATF and engine oil were somewhat down. I topped up the ATF. When I started the engine I noticed it making another little puddle, so I put a white board under it. All I caught was a couple of drops of engine oil, leading me to believe that possibly both ATF and engine oil are leaking. I suppose this means I need a new main oil seal. Frankly I don't fancy doing this myself, and I rather like the idea of paying someone else to do it, so maybe next time I visit my new-found garage, I'll have it done.

Other stuff: One carb's choke was stuck open. This obviously caused an imbalance when I first started the engine. I'll fix it whan I get around to it.

Some oil seemed to have seeped out of the crankcase breather and oil cooler. Just tiny amounts.

Weirdly, there was oil on the left hand carb. My only theory is that it must have somehow come out of the air cleaner. The inside of the air cleaner is oily, which I suppose confirms this. I have no idea what could have caused this.

That's it, I think. Other than that, it seems to have come out unscathed.

Daniel