Re: [T3] Fuel pump leak update!

On 29 Apr 2004 at 22:50, Joel Briglia wrote:

> I opened up the pump to take a look inside. The o ring seal looked OK. When
> I put it back together, I put a very light coat of silicone sealer around
> the area outside of the o ring where the screws pass through. I hooked the
> pump back up, but I still have a leak. It's not as bad as before, but I
> really don't want a fire! I haven't even tried to start the car yet with the
> pump leaking like this.

Most silicones don't work well with gas. Unless your stuff specifically says
that it's okay, then it's probably not. OTOH, it might just slow down the leak
long enough for the old O-rings to absorb some gas and swell a bit. It's really
not likely to be an obvious change.

In a worst case, you could try taking the parts to a bearing supply store,
where they usually also sell O-rings, and buying replacements. If you do this,
make SURE that you buy O-rings that are compatible with petroleum products.