Re: [T3] Leak

On 29 Apr 2004 at 20:00, Daniel Baum wrote:

> Although I can't tell what colour it is (it soaked into the ground), it
> does have that "gear oil" smell, but I can't tell if it's ATF or GL5.

ATF doesn't have that sulfurus smell, so it must be gear oil, unless you're
just smelling crud and engine oil.

> It's a pity its such a PITA to check and fill the GL5.

Yes, that's true. I'd watch it, and check it occasionally. You may find that
it's not GL-5, but if it is you don't want the differential to run dry, or
you'll be in for some rather expensive repairs.

I've been trying to think where GL-5 might leak out, and the only places I can
think of are around the drive shaft flanges on each side, around the drive
shaft covers on each side, and between the AT and the final drive where they
bolt together. You might just check the tightness of those bolts.

If you find that the AT is getting wet on the LHS, then this is likely to be
ATF leaking out from underneath the governor cover. There is an O-ring there
which always leaks by now, so you could consider replacing it no matter what.
It's cheap and no more trouble to replace than to check the GL-5.

--
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org