Re: [T3] 68 Square engine rebuild....

<x-flowed>It has a single carb that was on the car when I purchased it, and I installed a Facet electric fuel pump (the ones that are used for carbed engines.) The sound is close to the back of the engine behind the fan. I've been wondering if it's a bad bearing or something to that effect but since I'm new in the V-dub game and actually working on cars in general, I'm not sure what to think of it... I had been wanting to rebuild anyways so I could become as familiar as I could with the inner workings of my square...

Wes
*I Heart Mewithoutyou*

From: Jim Adney <jadney@vwtype3.org>
To: type3@vwtype3.org
Subject: Re: [T3] 68 Square engine rebuild....
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 10:34:39 -0500

On 28 Apr 2004 at 7:56, Wesley Crunch wrote:

> It was running fine after I just put a new fuel pump in it and I drove it to
> a friends house and stopped... when I started it back up again she made
> squealing and scraping noises like something was caught in the fan... upon
> removal of the fan shroud and inspection of the surrounding area I found
> that there was nothing to make the noises. I started it up one more time and
> listend for a while and it now sounds like there's something in the actual
> engine...

Is this car still FI, so that the pump you installed was the OE style electric
pump under the front end, or was this a mechanical pump installed on the
engine?

You can use a long screwdrive, with the blunt end stuck in your ear, to
localize the sound. There are things that can happen in the fan housing which
don't require a rebuild, but DO require immediate attention, or it's possible
that something went wrong with the mechanical engine fuel pump installation
which are causing other problems.

Let's start by figuring out exactly what problem you have.

--
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org