Re: [T3] Test drive!!

<x-flowed>
effortlessly at 90kph (that's 65mph). It felt like I could have got more
out of it, but given the state of the brakes I thought it best not to.

	Hm, 90kph should be about 56mph, right?

Ooops, my mistake. I did actually touch 100 kph once or twice, but as I wasn't sure that something wasn't about to fall off, and given the state of the brakes, I didn't want to push it. One of the things that classic car magazines go on about is whether an old car can keep up with modern traffic. Well, I kept in the slow lane, obviously, but I didn't feel really intimidated. I once drove a 1965 Type 34 in England, and also kept to about 60 mph on the motorways (this one had an mph speedo of course). Apparently an automatic Type 34 could do 140kph when new, but frankly at the moment I'm happy pottering along at 90.

manually downshift to second the revs go way up but it felt happier. I
found that I had to let off the throttle a bit while upshifting back
into third otherwise it stayed in second until it reached what felt like
about 7000rpm but was probably only about 4000. The kickdown doesn't

	You should be able to stay in second up through about 90kph, give
or take a bit.

Yes, I did get it to about 80 kph in second - uphill - but it was howling by then.

work yet, so I manually downshifted. It never downshifted by itself.

	Well, of course, it would have downshifted if the car had *really*
slowed down -- as it did when you eventually came to a stop, right?  Hm, I
forget the point at which it will just shift down from 3 to 2 if you don't
engage the kickdown... something tells me it's at 30-something mph, but
I'd have to give it a try to be sure.

Yes. Perhaps I was wrong to expect it to downshift by itself. All the other automatic cars that I have driven have had a working kickdown, so I hardly ever use the manual shifter on them. One of the first things I want to do once the car is deemed roadworthy is to get the kickdown working

Say, Daniel -- this has probably come up before, but I guess your T34 has rear engine hanger mounts on the body??

Yes. It's exactly the same as any other IRS/automatic Type 3, except that they were all dual carb.

Daniel