[T3] Front Brakes

Howdy All.
    I'm finally getting the brakes assembled onto my square. Is there a good
"backyard mechanic" method of setting the axial play/front hub nut torque? I
don't have a dial indicator to do it the Bentley way, and my other manual
(Clymer, I think) has sort of imprecise "pry on the thrust washer with a
screwdriver" instructions. On my old Camaros and Novas you could just
tighten it down 'till it wouldn't turn anymore, then back off a little, but
that doesn't look like a good idea here. Help! Also, I've always bench bled
my master cylinders before installation, which the new one that I have
recommends. What is a good way to do this on a M/C with a separate
reservoir? It looks like it's going to be messy no matter what.
    At the swapmeet this past weekend I scored a NOS muffler and tailpipe
for $40. I don't think that they are genuine VW, but the muffler does say
made in W. Germany. The manufacturer is LANGE or something like that. I'll
post a picture on the Samba if that will help identify it. It appears to be
for the later T-3's. I also picked up a nice rear bumper, driver side front
fender, and some little bits and T/S assemblies with very nice lenses. Total
weekend parts cost around $120, not too shabby.

Terry Cost
Austin, TX
1970 Squareback