Re: [T3] question on rear disc brakes continued...

On 26 Apr 2004 at 15:55, dennis perusse wrote:

>   Now my brother's new beetle has disc brakes on all
> four wheels, and believe me, you stop when that pedal
> is pressed on.

The type 3s with front disks had better brakes than any other car VW ever made.
Since most of the braking is done by the front wheels, there is really very
little to be gained by adding rear disks. Even on our cars, with the engine in
the rear, most of the braking is in the front. With a front engined car, there
is very little to be gained from rear disks, and whatever you do in the rear
has to be balanced in the front in order to get ANY advantage out of it.

BTW, most type 3s that I work on need brake work, usually badly. The comments
above only apply to systems in good operating condition.

>   Another thought that no one really answered was if
> the cb performance rear discs fits onto our cars.

Sorry, I don't know the answer to this question, but you're correct in asking
it.