Re: [T3] Oil Light On

On 26 Apr 2004 at 18:04, wfoh8x9 Martinez-Ortiz wrote:

> I got back from checking the thermostat after a 20 minute run at 65-70 mph,
> at the half way point I got out to check the thermostat (when the oil
> pressure light flickerd) and I could not see any change in the appearance
> from cold to hot. Is there any other way to check the cooling flaps?

The top of the thermostat will rise up about 1/2" when it is hot, so the
bellows will just look like it is taller. There are other things you can check,
but they're much harder and depend much more on being familiar with the engine.

> About the thermostat,
> can it be checked like a regular any other one, taking it off the engine and
> putting it on some hot liquid to see it expand?

You can, but you have to hold it in its little mounting bracket so that it will
not expand too much and ruin itself. Since the engine is in the car and
operating now, the way you're testing it now is much better.

> about the 30w I don't think I will follow the manual on this, at least until
> I figure out the cooling problem.

Thicker oil = less flow, which means less ability to carry away heat, or to
carry heat to the oil cooler. It may seem like the right thing to do, but it's
not.

A little bit of idiot light flicker at idle really isn't that big a deal.