Re: [T3] ATF Change (ugh)

On 19 Apr 2004 at 9:07, Aaron Clow wrote:

> What a pain... I found out that the old screen that
> was in my transmission was torn, and then when I went
> to put in the new one I discovered why it had been
> torn -- the hole in the screen the screw goes through
> wasn't large enough, so it looked like someone just
> removed the threading and put the screen in, defeating
> the whole purpose of the screen.
>
> I ended up doing the same thing, but in place of the
> threading I put two washers, one large & one small,
> which seemed to hold the screen tightly against the
> metal frame of the filter.
>
> Has anyone else run into this and do you think this
> will do the trick?

When you say "threading" do you mean that little brass grommet which is crimped
into the screen for the screw to pass thru? I would think that your solution is
probably fine, but I suspect that someone has stripped out the original screw
and replaced it with something bigger, creating this problem. A repair with a
Heli-coil and the original size screw would be more satisfying in the long run,
but your AT probably will probably never know the difference.

--
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org