Re: [T3] Running high

<x-flowed>Well, did all these different checks; the tube is there, and it seems seated properly and everything, no kinks in it that I can feel.

So on a whim, I disconnected the throttle cable in the back, completely unhooked from the carburetor, and started the car. Ran high, unchanged from before. I tried adjusting the set screw at this point, with no cable interference. I could get it to run faster, but no slower. Then I noticed something. There is a vertical bar that runs from the throttle lever to a rocker arm just in front of the choke (which has been disabled, I've noticed; no wires going to it, and it is an automatic choke). This arm holds that throttle lever up so that the set screw has no effect when loosened beyond a certain point. I took off this bar and the brackets it was attached to, and set them aside. Started the car. I noticed an /immediate/ decrease in RPMs, down to the point that I was able to set it to the 950 that the manual says it should idle at. What is this little bar, and why is it there?

Also, after I had done that, I tried statically timing it. Got it timed perfect, light goes off everything is lined up. Tried cranking it. No dice. It would spin and spin, but never catch. On a whim once more, I rotated the Distributor a good 60-70 degree CCW, back to where it originally was. Engine starts right up, but runs really rough. Any clues?

Thanks for you help, all that have given it!

-K
'71 Square, slowly gettin fixed.