Re: [T3] 6V to 12V Question

On 14 Apr 2004 at 22:27, John Jaranson wrote:

> OK, I have started upgrading Sophy's electrical system from 6V to 12V
> and I have come across something I am not sure of.  I am using parts
> from Jane ('71 Fasty) for the conversion.  On the wiring diagram for
> the 71 Type 3 there is a brown wire from the generator (D-) to the
> Voltage Regulator (D-).  This wire doesn't exist in Sophy's 1966 wiring
> harness.

This wire was added in 69 when VW added ground wires to almost everything. As
long as all your other grounds (battery to pan, tranny to pan) are in good
shape you don't need it. You just need to make sure that the VR gets a good
ground where you screw it in. If you are worried, you can run a ground wire
from the VR ground terminal to any good ground, like the anchor point for the
battery ground strap.

Because of the reduced current flow with the 12V system, if your grounds are
good enough for your 6V stuff, they'll be more than good enough for 12V.

> A working clock

I think I could send you a 12V winder solenoid which would drop in your early
clock to convert it to 12V, if that would be useful to you. The 71 clock will
be loose in your 66 dash, because the retainer springs were shortened starting
in 71 to accommodate the late dash pad, which is thinner.

--
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org