Re: [T3] MPS update

On 22 Sep 2003 at 23:40, David V.N. wrote:

> > On 22 Sep 2003 at 13:28, David V.N. wrote:
> >
>  > > Click?Do you mean throttle switch clicks?
> >
> > No, the TVS makes no sound on the 70-3 FI cars. There should be a series
> of clicks from the injectors, however.
>
> Sorry to be contensious(sp?)but yes it does(the switch),when adjusted as per
> the Pelican site
> and in testing here.No clicks from injectors except when activated by
> jumpering pins.
> I do get a buzz from the pump and a jump in the inline fuel pressure gauge I
> installed
> in the rt. side fuel tee.

Only the 68-9 FI systems have a microswitch built into the TVS. This one makes
a click when moving in and out of the idle position. This 68-9 switch has a 2-
pin connector. Does your TVS also click with the key OFF? [The 68-9 switch will
click with the key either ON or OFF.] Is there also a sensor hanging from the
underside of the right side intake air runners?

The 70-3 switches (which is what I think you should have) have 4 or 5 pins and
are just sliding contacts. There's nothing inside that can make a sound. If
your TVS click goes away when you turn the key OFF then you're probably hearing
a sound from somewhere else, rather than from the TVS.

Is there some chance that you have the early switch? Maybe someone has cobbled
together a mosaic FI system and that may be part of your problem.

> > Hmmm..., I'm not sure that you should get injector clicks when jumpering
> > between trigger point pins,
>
> I do the jumpring with ign. on.

Right, I assumed that, otherwise everything's dead. I think we both understand
that.

> Anyway I am,(horrors of horrors),considering carbs.The MPS seems to be made
> of unobtanium.
> Only price I can find is $750us !!!!!!!!!

I have them for $50 in good used condition. I agree that $750 is absurd, but
the fact that your late TVS "clicks" bothers me, because it means that there's
something wrong with this picture. We need to figure out what it is before we
start throwing parts at it.

--
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org