Re: [T3] Running in new Pistons

----- Original Message -----
From: "Keith Park" <topnotch@nycap.rr.com>

> Run the engine EASY for the first few hundred miles... oil change at
300-500

Will do! There seems to be a bit of a split of opinions concerning running
in though (not on this list though!). I've definitely heard that the first
few minutes are crucial and that the engine should be run hardish (2000 rpm
continuous) to bed the rings. Maybe that was just for Porsche engines
though?

> > Also I'm going to replace some valves. The guides seem OK but again for
> > peace of mind I'd like to replace the exhausts
>
> DONT go CHEAP on the valves!!!  replace ALL the guides, and at least the
> exaust valves but Id do the intakes too...  these heads have a hard time
> just holding up for 60K miles so you sure dont want to put something of
less
> quality than stock in there, the results can be very expensive!

Looking at my engine now its in pieces it all looks in remarkably good
condition. Since I know that its the original case I'm guessing that it has
been rebuilt and not that long ago. The heads are perfect and the valves are
all vw stamped. I checked the valve rock as per haynes and all the inlets
are 0.2mm (which is better than the new spec!) and the exhausts on 1&2 are
0.35mm, and 0.55mm on 3&4. The limit according to Haynes is 0.8mm so they
are still looking good. The heads show no wear or burning and the seats are
all bright metal to metal contact.

I know I should now I have the chance, but do I really need to change the
guides? Thing is I can't really leave the car where it is for too long, and
I'm working, and I don't know anywhere local that I'd trust to do this, and
I'm frightened to try it myself.

I guess what I should do is get a second engine and rebuild that in my own
time to perfection and get this one back together for now as best I can in
the time I've got (has to be running next week) and do a swap as soon as the
other is ready and sort this one out properly.

More time, more space!

Thanks
Mark Seaton, '73 Fasty, London