Re: [T3] Running in new Pistons

Mark wrote:
> I found this link though:
>http://www.unitn.it/internazionale/area_ric/progetti/nano_vhof.htm that
>suggests that Osvat are pioneering in new technologies so can they be
>that bad?

I've never heard of them, so you might be on your own here. Most people just
put in stainless steel exhaust valves and call it done.

> Do I need to replace the intakes as well? I'm getting paranoid now about
>dropping one but has anyone ever had an intake break?

I've never broke an intake, but I have broke 2 exhaust valves on 2 beetle
engines. These both broke while at highway speed running cheap gas though. I
didn't have any idea how many miles were on either engine. When the valve head
broke off the first engine it made a big mess inside, breaking the cam and the
rod in several places, along with shattering the piston, but it never leaked a
drop of oil. The second one was less violent, only shattering the piston,
bending the rod, and breaking a lifter bore off. The first engine got rebuilt and
had over 27,000 miles on it when I sold it in a car last fall, and the second
one is now only used as a mock up case. I hope this helps.

Bob 65 Notch S w/ Sunroof
       69 Squareback-AT - the baby suburban
       71 Squareback- formerly undecided, now becoming a 2 seat Roadster, in
progress : ) getting closer