Re: [T3] VIN vs. Model number

<x-flowed>On Thursday, September 18, 2003, at 07:05  AM, Jim Adney wrote:

The problem for
me is that I'm sure I hear people talking about suffixes which I don't see on
the official VW documents. The official suffixes that I see are S, N, A, L,
TL, and T. As far as I can see, VW used these suffixes in the model table
without defining them, and then never used them anywhere else in the parts
lists. Parts for particular models are called out by M codes, but there is
nowhere that I see that correlates particular (groups of) M codes with
particular suffixes.

All of this is made particularly difficult by the fact that few of the cars
I've ever seen in the US ever had a badge of any kind identifying them as being
a particular suffix. The only badge identifier I've ever seen is the S, on cars
before 68.

I think you're right, the model designations are confusing and were different in various markets. Sometimes the way cars were badged agreed with VW's internal model designations, sometimes not. I don't think the US market ever used the L, TL, or T (someone correct me if I'm wrong!). To my knowledge the N and A cars were never badged, but some of the sales brochures referred to them as N and A. VW of Canada had it's own unique system as explained by Andre recently, which included the TS badge that's currently in use by Everett Barnes as the logo for The Samba. Australia also had a TS but with different badging.

Scott
62 343, 65 361