Re: [T3] battery voltage

On 16 Sep 2003 at 8:19, jim wrote:

> I am trying to trouble shoot an intermittent problem my car (69 SQBK, MT, 73 E/FI) is
> having.  Every two weeks (or so) the engine will die and will not restart for about an
> hour.  Wide open throttle helps the start which makes me wonder if it is running rich.
> So far, this happens within the first 15 minutes of driving and has not happened on
> extended treks (over 4 miles/15 minutes).

Hmmm, this sounds like a tough one. Seems rather random and it could be related
to warmup, which makes me think of a temp sensor. It COULD also be ignition, so
an inductive timing light that you clamp around the SP wire just to verify that
there is spark would be a very useful test to do.

> After checking tuneup specs, next was the battery voltage.  It measured 13.5V without the
> car running (and after sitting overnight).  It measured 14.8V with the car running,
> warmed up at medium RPM, which sounds about right.  Should the dormant/non-running
> voltage be that high?  I found my fuel pressure gauge so that's my next measurement.

Both of these numbers are too high. I suspect your meter is out of calibration.
We can check those when you get here.

> Anyway, in the coming weeks I will be making a small trip to Jim Adney in Madison to swap
> my T4 brain for the correct T3 brain.  I, and all traffic on I-90, would prefer not to
> encounter this intermittent non-running condition then.

I'm back in Madison now. When would you like to come up? Problems like this one
can be impossible to find unless you can test them while things are failed.
Yes, I hope you can find it quickly.