RE: [T3] engine problems

On 16 Sep 2003 at 10:41, Gamboa, Gary wrote:

> >Hunting at idle is usually caused by the idle speed set too high
>
> I had this yesterday morning after a 7 mile drive at 65pmh.
> I shut off the car, popped the lid and a visual check was ok.
> I have been having problems with my pressure hose not staying on
> (intake end). So I tried to slip it on more. I also pulled it
> off the pressure sensor. When I started it back up, the hunting
> went away and it returned to normal idle? Was this just a coincidence?

The hunting I was talking about is more often referred to as loping. It amounts
to maybe 500 RPM changes which occur about every 3 seconds. It's enough to be
alarming. If you are experiencing much more minor wandering then this is
probably normal.

If you really had this wide loping then you may have had a vacuum leak which
you cured when you reset that hose. A vacuum leak on our FI cars just lets the
idle speed increase.

--
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org