Re: German vacation times (was: Re: [T3] Bran' new baby!)

<x-flowed>I think different parts of Germany have their summer holiday at different times
from one year to the next; we've been to Wolfsburg in the middle of August and
found the factory closed - had to go to Stuttgart for Porsche and Mercededes
museums then return to Wolfsburg.
Some years the Hanover schools close for the summer around the end of June and
are back in session by the middle of August. It's a very fair system, a bit
confusing, but very organised so people can spread the holiday period and be
more likely to get their towels on the sunbeds first. ;-)

I don't know how it is determined which states' summer school vacation starts when, but they are the same length in each state (6 weeks) and fall somewhere between early June and late August. The staggering is necessary to avoid total traffic chaos, which is bad enough even with the staggering in place. Very large entities, such as the VW factory in Wolfsburg, have their own schedule which might differ from the state that they are in.

jens