Re: [T3] FI Relay (was: It's ALIVE!)

On 5 Sep 2003 at 17:58, Aaron Clow wrote:

> Actually, the relay was there, all hooked up. I
> happened to be going to F.Paul, the local german auto
> parts shop here on the Island, so I picked up another
> one (luckily he gave it to me at cost because it had
> been lying around a long time), as I figured it would
> be a good thing to have an extra of anyway... Plugged
> it in, same thing. No second click.
>
> Just to get this straight, my relay has two top
> connectors, one middle connector, and two on the
> bottom that one big plug fits over, correct? It's just
> behind the fuse panel.

That's the right relay. Do this test: turn the key on and listen for the pump
to start, then pull the "big plug" off that relay. The relay should click open
and the pump should stop. If it does, the relay is okay and the fault is with
the control signal.

Since you don't even get another click, it sounds like there is a problem with
your control signal. One of those 2 wires in that big plug is just a hot wire
from the fuse box. The other one runs back to the FI computer which provides a
ground when it thinks the pump should be running. The other end of this wire
connects to the FI harness at the front of the engine, on the "firewall" just
about 4" left of center. There should be an inline connector there that
connects one wire to another short wire that disappears into the FI wiring
harness. Is this connector there and connected like this? Or has that wire been
permanently connected to ground?

If that connection looks normal you should pull the brain out and remove it
from the FI harness. See if the pump still runs with the brain out. If it
doesn't, the brain is faulty.

Let us know what you find.