[T3] Rear end clunking sound?

<x-flowed>Hey guys, My '67 square has a funny problem that worries me a bit, but mostly it's annoying. When I bought it, the right rear shock was not connected (!). I would never have suspected, except that the car had a funny kind of back-and-forth shimmy when hitting a bump with all four wheels. So when looking into the engine bay I discivered that the right shock was connected on the bottom but was just sitting there (resting on the ebrake cable actually, not hitting anything at all). So I picked up a new grade 8 bolt and tightened it all up and ever since then there's been a clunk noise from that corner of the car whenever hitting a bump, even small ones. I know it's that corner because when going over a manhole cover/etc with the left side there is no noise but when going over something with the right side it is there. It sounds like a hollow 'thunk' sound, and although I know it's impossible to determine the problem based on my description of the sound, hopefully someone will have some ideas. Now, since I connected the shock and immediately afterwards the suspension started making noise, I know the two events are interrelated. I'm just curious if it is that one strut itself (should I swap struts side to side and see?) or if, by attaching a semi-rigid part to that corner, I'm now flexing something, or making something that is loose bounce around. I know the T3 suspension is simple, so I can't think of anything that could be flexing enough to make an audible clunk. Thanks for any help you guys can give.

Steve
'67 squareback