Re: [T3] Rear Brakes

On Thu, 2003-09-04 at 09:31, jason.smith@sarcom.com wrote:

> The car sat for a long time so I want to just replace the parts.  I know the
> adjusting stars are rusted in place, even after trying to use PB Blaster
> etc. to loosen them.

If you have the drums and shoes off, screw the screws all the way in,
and use them for leverage. If needed, apply some heat.

> What all do I need to replace on this system? Adjusting stars, springs,
> shoes etc.?

Reuse the adjusting stars and screws. But they are the same as a Bug.
The springs are different, and could be hard to find. If they look good,
reuse them. Replace the shoes, and remachine the drums. Rebuild the
wheel cylinders. Just get a couple kits and a deglazing hone that fits.
A scotch brite pad is helpful too.

> Any things I should look out for?
>
> Is there anyway to tell if the drums are still good?

Measure the inside diameter of the drum, and check the runout. The shop
doing the re-machining will know what to do and check for. Or they
should. The maximum diameter is stamped on the outside of the drum.

--
Russ Wolfe
'66 FB MT