Re: [T3] It's ALIVE!

On 1 Sep 2003 at 14:42, Aaron Clow wrote:

> --- Jim Adney <jadney@vwtype3.org> wrote:

> > On 31 Aug 2003 at 19:00, Aaron Clow wrote:

> > > 1) My fuel pump is on all the time.
> >
> > I trust that you can track this down and fix it
> > easily. Do you hear a relay
> > click when you turn the key ON and then another
> > click about 1 second later?
>
> Nope. I only hear the one click when I turn on the
> ignition, and then I hear the system pressurizing and
> then I hear the fuel pump humming along all the time.

Look under your dash and find the pair of wires (red, brown) that feeds thru a
grommet and comes out just in front of the fuse box. The brown one should go to
a ground and the red one should go to a relay. Is there a relay there? It
should look EXACTLY like the main FI power relay under the back seat.

You will probably find that you don't have a fuel pump relay and that the red
wire is connected directly to the fuse box. What do you find there?

> > Injectors that have been out of service for a long time will always
> > leak, at least at first.

> I held onto them and put them in my "breakdown" box of things to always
> carry with me. Oddly enough, the used one that I picked up with a bunch
> of stuff in a box on Tuesday seems to work just fine, and at least from
> appearances it looked shot. The manuals say so much about how fragile
> these things are, but are they really that fragile? The engine doesn't
> seem to be missing at all... I believe it is running rich, but I imagine
> I'd hear it if any of the injectors weren't working correctly?

Let them dry out for a couple of days and then oil them carefully. I keep
meaning to buy some kerosene to store my used ones in, just to keep the o-rings
damp and to prevent rust.