Re: [T3] Bumper Questions

On 1 Sep 2003 at 2:47, hedge wrote:

> The rear bumper brackets of our '69 fastback seem very thin and weak.
> I suppose they are designed to crumple, sacrificing the fenders and
> apron instead of bending the frame, but they really seem thin.

There IS NO frame. The bumper bracket attach inside to thin sheet metal that
has almost no strength. Stronger bumper brackets would only assure the
destruction of the inner structure.

> How do these bumpers protect the car in actual practice?

Hardly at all. Consider them decorative.

> Does anyone think these can be improved upon in some way?

A nice Oak 2 x 6 makes a good replacement bumper. It is stronger than the
original, AND it won't rust.   ;-)

> Would fashioning a stronger bracket be unsafe?

I don't think it would be a safety hazard.

> Regarding the front bumper:
>
> How do those thin-walled tubes that go down at an angle from the bumper
> actually function in a collision??

When the bumper starts to collapse, it forces that U-tube back against the
front axle beam. The axle beam IS a heavy strong piece that is gripped by a
major structural member of the body, so this transfers a LOT of force to
something stronger. The actual front bumper brackets, like the rears, are also
just bolted to thin sheet metal and have very little strength.

The U-tube was introduced in '68.

> Does anyone think these can be improved upon in some way?

Not that I know of.