Re: [T3] Generator woes

Carefully and yes the front to back grooves IF the insulation in them is at
or above the level of the Copper.  Its normal for the surface the brushes
ride on to wear lower than the rest of the commutator, this quicly wears the
corners off the new brushes to seat them in then they wear normally.
Basically you dont want anything on the commutator that is rough, or will
dig into the brushes... if there is eather the generator has shorted and run
hot or someone has done a hackers job and undercutting the commutator.

If you send me the armature your not using I can run it up on the lathe at
work and see if I can clean the commutator up...
Glad you made it home anyway... and dont forget to plug those oil access
holes.

Keith