Re: [T3] Generator woes

From: Mike Wodkowski <wodkowski@mac.com>

> So regardless of my previous short, there IS something wrong with my
> generator. Its chewing up brushes like they were sweet-tarts.

Rapid brush wear is a sign of rough or out of round commutators.

> I will admit that I have resorted to using the sandpaper gimmick
> once to
> keep my battery fresh (the light came on 40 miles outside NYC the
> night I
> came back from Keiths - thanks again Keith!) but even then I used
> 400 grit
> wet-dry stuff. Not enough to put these icepick grooves into the
> commutator.Not to mention that I use the sandpaper on a wide
> stickwhile the gen is
> rotating.

One of my books warns against using certain kinds of sandpaper on the commutator. I can never remember which kind is bad so I just avoid recommending this. Apparently, the problem is that one of the kinds of abrasive grains can come loose from the paper and become embedded in the soft copper. This then becomes an abrasive which eats away at the brushes.

A good generator rebuild should not have any problems like this, as it should have been turned in the process of the rebuild. Genuine Bosch rebuilds should always come with nice fresh commutators.

> While I was at it, I checked the resistance of my d+ wire. Red to
> D+, black
> to GND. Only 10-11 ohms (VOM WAS set to Rx1, and pre-adjusted) I
> comparedthis to my new VR (uninstalled) and measuring across D+ to
> DF I only got 18
> ohms. Am I measuring the wrong place with this new one. Jim I
> thought you
> said they're supposed to measure 35 ohms? Any thoughts.

What were you measuring? Was this the resistance of the VR or the generator, or both in parallel. The old style VRs measured about 35 Ohms to ground, but someone reported that the new solid state ones were less. I would expect the generator itself to measure MUCH less, more like 1 Ohm.