Re: [T3] tunnel gas line broken?

On 24 Oct 2003 at 13:59, Russ wolfe wrote:

> On Fri, 2003-10-24 at 13:29, Aaron Clow wrote:
> > On the way home from work last week I noticed the car
> > started skipping a little.

The skipping is almost certainly NOT related to the leak. The pump can put out
much more gas than the engine needs, so it takes a hell of a leak to bring the
fuel pressure down enough to matter.

> > I turned the car back on and the top of the hose was
> > wet. Didn't look anywhere near as bad as before (gas
> > wasn't running down the hose), but it's still leaking.
> > I think the clamp is pretty tight. It's a circular FI
> > hose clamp. My next thought is that the line is
> > broken/rusted in the tunnel, or there's a hole in it
> > that only leaks under pressure.

> It is rare for a metal line inside the tunnel to leak. Don't think I
> have seen more that one or two in all my years.
> Check the tightness of the hose clamps. I had a Domestic FI car here
> that was leaking gas where the hose went onto the metal line. The car
> had been sitting for a couple months. I tightened the clamp a quarter
> turn and the leak went away. This is one reason I like the spiral
> clamps, as you can get mor torque on them as opposed to the crimp style.

I'm with Russ on this, partly. I've NEVER seen a fuel pipe that rusted out. I
suspect that it's more likely that your new hose is crimped on top of some rust
on the surface of the pipe that is making it impossible to seal. Take the hose
off and make sure you're clamped over a smooth portion of tube. If you find
rust there, make sure to clean out the ID of the hose before you try to clamp
it again.

Personally, and this is where I'll have to disagree with Russ, I dislike the
worm gear hose clamps for most applications. I find that the buckle makes for a
discontinuity in the loop which tends to leak, especially with small diameter
hoses, like these. The clamps I like are the ones from Oetiker which VW used as
OE clamps. These are the little bands with the 1 or 2 tension loops which get
compressed around the hose. I've never had one of those fail, AND they don't
extrude the outer jacket of the hose if you overtighten them. (In fact, you
really can't overtighten them; they just spring back.)

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "circular FI hose clamp,"
but it may be the kind I like.