Re: [T3] Fuel Problem

On 21 Oct 2003 at 17:47, vwguy wrote:

> Looks like it was the relay, I get 2 clicks, the voltage pops up and
> then quickly disappears. The meter can't even adjust to get a reading.
> I assume the voltage is suppose to stay!

The voltage should go away after the 2nd click, or stay on if you're running
the starter or the engine is running. The second click is the relay shutting
down in response to the fact that the engine isn't turning over. This is an
important safety feature.

You can keep the relay on longer by cranking the starter. That should give you
time for your voltmeter to stabilize.

> If I cannot find em local, got a source?

I have them, both new and used. They sometimes seem to fail by developing high
resistance, which means the voltage drops when it shouldn't. This MIGHT be your
problem, but you can check for that easily.

You can also jumper around that relay just to run the pump full time (for
testing only.) If the engine then starts and runs it becomes pretty clear that
you have a bad relay. Sometimes you can open up the relays and just clean the
contacts. YMMV.