Re: [T3] Another distributor question

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jim Adney" <jadney@vwtype3.org>

> On 16 Oct 2003 at 14:07, Mark Seaton wrote:

> > With the can disconnected the progression is much more
> > even, though the takeoff from idle is far less stable and  wants to
stall.

> If your dist has both vac and mech advance, then the vac advance should
only be
> active while cruising.

Thinking about it that seems strange as the vacuum take off is very close to
the idle throttle position- as if it was meant to give the max vac signal at
initial acceleration as I'm seeing- to coincide with the max richness from
the accelerator pump.

> > I removed the dizzy last weekend and took out the advance plate to look
at
> > the centrifugal bits. It all looked OK and free but I did notice that
the 2
> > springs that attach to the weights are different. One has a longer loop
at

> This is correct. If you look at the dist advance curves in the Bentley
manual,
> you will see that several of the curves rise, plateau, rise some more, and
then
> stop.

I (shock horror, slapped wrists ) don't own a Bentley as the haynes covers
most of what I need with the carbs but doesn't give the advance curves- does
anyone have them scanned and available online, or could send them to me?

> This port is in the throttle body, isn't it? Have you changed throttle
bodies?
> If so, consider changing back, but I don't know if you can mix and match
> throttle bodies and carb bodies (are they even separate parts???)

Yes they are! and yes I have but I put the original throttle plates on that
came with this car and this dizzy so they should be matched.

> I could be
> wrong, but I don't think there would be any kind of leak which could do
this
> unless you have a crack in a casting somewhere.

will check them again

> Just disconnect the vacuum hose for now. See if that helps. On your dist,
the
> vac adv is just there to improve fuel economy while cruising (high speed,
low
> load.)

 I will have another look at it and try your suggestion and see what
happens.
BTW its a "J" model distributor (can't remember the other numbers)

Thanks Jim for your advice once again!

Mark Seaton,
'73 Fasty,
London