[T3] Kymco Header/Muffler Install Report

Hey all!

Don't have a lot of time here, but I wanted to tell
you about the Kymco header and over-the-top muffler I
installed on the Fastback today.  The pieces
themselves are really nicely done...the tubing is very
thick, though not I'm tempted to say that it's not as
thick as on their Type I Super Header, I believe.

The over-the-top muffler is a single quiet pack that
goes over the top of the extractor collector, and
after installation I see that there's about an inch or
more of space between the top of the muffler and the
bottom of the air intake bellows.  Should be enough to
prevent the bellows from heating up, but if not
perhaps I'll pack some fiberglass insulation between
them.

I got mine ceramic coated, and will keep the list
informed as to how long the unit remains rust free
(well, at least on the outside).  They also include
the gaskets, copper nuts, and a rather decent pair of
VW compression clamps.

Installation was a breeze...I was able to get the
whole job done in about 2 hours from start to finish
(including jacking up the car, removing rear wheels,
getting out all the tools, etc.

The muffler definitely has a throaty purr, though it's
definitely not as loud as the coffee can outlets the
kids put on their Civics these days ;-)  what's nice,
though, is that the muffler is up and out of the way
(compared to my old BugPack single quiet pack, which
hung down and required me to bend the rear apron a
bit).    With this new setup I was able to bend the
rear apron back to its original shape, and when
viewing the car from the back you can barely see the
exhaust.  Very nice setup!

Ok, just wanted to pass that on...if any of you have
any specific questions about the parts or install
email me off the list...I'm a little swamped at work
right now, so I don't get to read the digest
much...but I'll definitely follow up with insidivual
questions.

Have great weekends, all!

-Doug :-)
73 Fastback