RE: [T3] Odometer not working

>My speedometer seems to work fine, but the odometer
>moves only when it wants to (the tripmeter has the
>same issue), which is very infrequently. Can this be
>fixed easily? I'm not eager to tear into a working
>speedometer...

This is fairly common and all of my T3's (3) have had a broken odometer.

I tried to take my 72 odometer apart and fix it per some instructions I had
from a porsche site (the odometers are the same as T3's for some models) and
it was fairly straight forward, there is a little pot-metal gear that comes
free from its metal shaft.  However, unless you are real good at very
intricate mechanics, I don't recommend taking it apart.  Plus there is
something special you have to do to the shaft to get it to not spin in the
pot-metal gear wheel hole.  The instructions I had said to squeeze the
pot-metal gear on the shaft but the wheel can easily break, then you've had
it, so that is not such a good idea. I was able to get it to work, but I
doubt it would for long.

I think Jim A. has a method to fix these.

Jason Smith
71 Square FI AT
Columbus, OH USA
http://jasontsmith.tripod.com/vw.htm