Re: [T3] 3602066435

on 15/10/2003 8:49 AM, Jim Adney at jadney@vwtype3.org wrote:

> I didn't think anyone used copper for brake lines but, to my surprise, a web
> search turned up lots of examples. It has good corrosion resistance, but it
> work hardens and cracks. There IS a copper-nickel alloy called Kunifer that's
> being promoted for brake lines, though. Is that what you mean? I'd love to see
> if I can buy it here, but the stuff I've read only talks about Sweden and
> Volvo. It looks like a great solution to the center brake line corrosion
> problem. Anyone know any more on this?

VW Trends did a brake article on this a while ago, where they talk about
using Kunifer. I just went and found the magazine- it was the April 2002
issue, but it doesn't mention where to get it though. It gives a good how-to
on making brake lines. It also says it is more vibration and corrosion
resistant than either steel or copper so it sounds like the better choice.

HTH,
--
Ben Doughney

Webmaster