[T3] How can it BE?!

> I don't think you've written this down right. There would be no reason to want
> to short D+ to ground, and if you did so, how could you still get 2V there?
> The
> Bentley test is the same as mine. Both are illustrated in fig. 6-4.

You're right. I hooked the VOM from D+ to ground. Bentley's test has both D+
and DF disconnected, while in your faq you just have the field wire
disconnected. Would/should that make any difference?

Both brushes are good, long and sliding well. And the little screw holding
the two straps is in place and secure.
The studs don't turn and the wires to the studs are intact.

The gen has always been installed with the dot aligned with the line. That's
something I'm really conscientious of because this was the first problem I
had with this car way back in 96.

I'll check for possible shorts. It's my only hope.

One question: difference between your test and the Bentley fig 6-4 test is
that Bentley says to disconnect BOTH DF and D+.

So I got different results from the bentley test than from yours.
When I shored DF to ground using the Bentley test, I got a big fluctuation,
up to 25 V, which Bentley says should have been more like 12v with the
engine at idle.

When I did your test and shorted the DF to ground, I got zilch.

Why the different readings?