Re: [T3] clutch cable

On 2 Oct 2003 at 4:47, Marc Weber wrote:

> I've had the clutch cable tube inside the tunnel break back in '86 in
> Death Valley. No symptoms until then. All went well with what seemed
> like routine cable replacement until time to feed new one through
> (unknown to us) broken tube. Mine probably broke from wear against
> the broken tube ends; seems like this kind of problem could produce
> catching, rubbing etc. on it's way toward failure. But mostly I
> thought you might add this to your mental list of things which can go
> wrong with clutch cables....

On one of my cars, someone had had the transmission out and back in. When they
put it back in they didn't bother to slip the ferrule at the front of the
Bowden tube OVER the end of the solid tube. As a result, the bend in the bowden
tube forced the two ends to not meet straight on and the cable had cut a slot
nearly 1/2" deep in the solid tube.

I had to pull the cable out and file the tube smooth, inside and out, before I
could get the Bowden tube to go on there properly and run smooth. Amazingly,
there had been no significant damage to the cable itself, but maybe it had been
replaced by the time I got to it.