Re: [T3] "Blow-by"

On 1 Oct 2003 at 9:36, Gamboa, Gary wrote:

> I had a short conversation with a vw mechanic who mentioned blow-by.
> He also said this would condition would require an engine rebuild.
>
> Can anyone give a definition of this?

It's the condition when the rings aren't sealing well anymore. This allows more
(which is a really relative thing) combustion gasses to pass from the top of
the piston into the crankcase. There is always SOME blowby, but the term is
usually applied when the amount is excessive.

Any blowby has to eventually be vented from the crankcase. This is what the
crankcase breather does. Part of the breather's function is to separate blowby
gasses from the oil mist that is inherently present in any running engine. The
oil mist must be collected somehow and returned to the crankcase. Once the
blowby becomes excessive, this oil mist is often no longer collected
effectively, ie the separation mechanism is overwhelmed, and you start losing
oil.

Blowby is usually a ring problem, but some cheap aftermarket cylinders have
thinner than stock walls, which make them more likely to warp when warm. This
prevents the rings from sealing, thus resulting in excessive blowby.

This is a common occurrence with the smaller ranges of oversized cylinders
which have oversized bores but stock sized ODs This makes it possible to
install them in stock cases without machining the case for a larger cylinder.
These are called "drop-in" PC sets. They are to be avoided.

The "correct" way to install oversize PC sets is to buy "machine-in" sets that
require that the case bores be enlarged to accept the larger cylinders.

--
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org