[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index] [New Search]

Re: [T3] Hose between spare and washer fluid resevoir

On 25 Nov 2003 at 8:10, Garret Trask wrote:

> >What do you have now? I'm not sure how you could use a bicycle pump on a 
> >68.
> >
> >68s came with a reservoir that had a blank stud in them, instead of the 
> >Schraeder valve that earlier cars got. Then there was a black cap with a 
> >small  hose fitting, a length of hose and a tire valve fitting. What are 
> >you missing?
> Mine has a valve that a bicycle pump can attach to.  It does not have a 
> black cap with a small hose fitting.  I don't know why mine would be 
> different from other 68s.  Maybe it's because mine is a european model?  My 
> car was brought over from Germany in 1998.

There are several reasons why this might be different. It might be because it 
is a euro model (we'll have to check the M-codes and parts list to see if this 
was an M-code option) or because it is a notch, or because someone swapped 
parts on it years ago.

The parts I described above were the way my 68 arrived when new. I know that 
earlier cars had the Schraeder valve like yours does, however, mine just came 
with a blank threaded stud which was used to hold it in place.

> What I'm missing is a hose that will attach to the valve stem on the spare 
> tire, and also attach to the valve I'm currently using my bicycle pump on.  
> It would seem to need the same kind of fitting on both ends.

You probably should just look for the complete set of parts for a 68. The cap 
with hose nipple, hose, and tire attachment. The special cap also contains a 
valve that's supposed to keep the spare tire from getting deflated below 
usefulness. OTOH, these caps/valves all seem to fail internally and are a 
consistent trouble spot.

I think RMMW may have the caps, and they probably come with the hose and tire 
connection. They probably sell it as a beetle part. They're not cheap.

I probably have some type 3 units, but I don't know if I have the right black 
(low pressure) one for a notchback, nor do I know if they're any good inside. 
['70-on squarebacks came with red caps which had a higher cutoff pressure. They 
hadn't thought of that in 68.]

Jim Adney
Madison, WI 53711-3054

List info at http://www.vwtype3.org/list | mailto:gregm@vwtype3.org

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index] [New Search]