Re: [T3] Upper torsion arm needle bearings

On 21 Nov 2003 at 23:53, Yancy Everhart wrote:

> I removed the torsion arms and sway bar only to find the needles in the
> bearing broken in half!

Wow, those look pretty bad. I've never seen needles broken like that, but the
center part between bearings looks rusty. Someone left this front end without
grease for a long time. I assume that was before you. This is a good lesson for
everyone to keep grease in their front axle beam. I'm afraid that a lot of
these die simply because mechanics don't notice the 2 upper Zerk fittings.

Every type 3 has FOUR (4!) grease fittings on the front axle.

The spacing between inner and outer bearings changed at some point in the early
history. The inner bearing is a metal sleeve bearing set in a fiber ring. The
fiber ring was not supposed to be replacable. I don't even think I've managed
to save any of them from axles I've parted out. I probably have a sleeve
bearing, however.

Early and late upper swing arms are different because of the different spacing
between bearings, but I've heard of people repositioning the fiber and metal
sleeves in order to replace these arms. I MAY have a good late arm.

Most of the servicing of this is covered very nicely in the Bentley manual,
including the dimensions for the driver to install the bearings.