[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index] [New Search]

Re: Plume of Smoke (was: [T3] Various Questions)

On 20 Nov 2003 at 17:52, Dave Hall wrote:

> Most stem seals stay on the guide and scrape off the oil from the valve stem,
> but these stay on the valve stem so tend to push oil towards the guide - a
> fundamentally different mode of operation.

On our engines the oil source is the rocker arm. Some of this oil makes its way 
to the end of the valve and works its way past the keeper halves and starts 
down the valve stem. When it hits the "seal" it runs down that and can't 
continue down the stem; it gets shaken off instead. In this sense perhaps it 
should be described as an "oil slinger" rather than an "oil seal." I note that 
the VW parts lists refer to them as "ring - oil deflection."

> They certainly used to be in the gasket kits - that's where I've found them in
> the past.

I don't ever remember seeing one in a gasket set, but VW shows that they should 
be in the official VW sets. The only one of those I ever paid the extra bucks 
for was 32 years ago, however, and I really don't remember....

> I think we're all agreed that they are not used any longer.

A few people still do. I certainly recommend that they be installed with any 
stock valve job.

Jim Adney, jadney@vwtype3.org
Madison, Wisconsin, USA

List info at http://www.vwtype3.org/list | mailto:gregm@vwtype3.org

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index] [New Search]