[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index] [New Search]

Re: [T3] tail pipe question

On 19 Nov 2003 at 13:12, Garret Trask wrote:

> I've got a '68 notchback that needs a tailpipe.  Could anyone tell me what 
> parts are involved?  I thought it was one piece coming off the muffler but I 
> ordered a tail pipe from Rocky Mountain Motorworks a few months back, and 
> all they sent me was a short elbow pipe.  I think there must be another 
> piece that fits between the short elbow pipe and the muffler.  If there is, 
> does anyone know what this piece is called, and maybe what the part number 
> is?

The early muffler used a damper pipe and a separate tailpipe (the part you 
probably got. The late (72-3) muffler used a one piece tail/damper pipe.

Either muffler will fit any car from 66-73, but you have to fit the right 
damper pipe to each muffler. So you need to see which muffler you have.

The early (2-piece) damper pipe fits in a hole in the muffler which is about 1-
3/8" diameter. The late (1-piece) damper fits in a significantly larger hole.

Once you measure the hole, or the pipe that goes into it, on your current 
muffler, you will know which damper you need. It would have been the early 
style when new, but it could be either now.

Jim Adney
Madison, WI 53711-3054

List info at http://www.vwtype3.org/list | mailto:gregm@vwtype3.org

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index] [New Search]