Re: Plume of Smoke (was: [T3] Various Questions)

On 13 Nov 2003 at 14:15, vwfye@frontiernet.net wrote:

> the subaru and porsche don't because they were engineered not to. the
> subaru sump (a/c vw doesnt' have a drop sump) is baffled and keeps the
> oil away from the cylinders when at rest,

The oil level in our engines is still well below the bottom of the cylinders.

I've never really thought about exactly where it comes, so maybe it would be
interesting to pull some parts and try to figure this out. We know that the
level is below the pushrod tube inner ends and that these are below the
cylinder bottoms, but it would be interesting to know more accurately.

For example, I'm not sure, but I suspect that the oil level is below the
camshaft, but it's possible that VW designed the cam to ride partially immersed
in oil, just to keep the lobes oiled.

--
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org