[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index] [New Search]

Re: [T3] What is it???

On 9 Nov 2003 at 20:26, Neil wrote:

> Type 3 mystery part. I found this in a box of stuff I got with one of the
> cars I purchased over the last couple years. I don't know what it came off
> of. The pictures are here:
> http://www.neil.us/type3/mystery_part
> here's a description: White plastic, about 130mm X 135mm, has the VW logo
> followed by part number 311 805 241 followed by KING (see picture #3)
> I can not find any reference to this in any of my parts manuals (I have the
> 1961, 1965 and 1969 editions). This number just doesn't appear in my books.
> Any one know what it is??

I have a couple of these. They were only used in the last year or 2 of 
production, possibly just in 73. I THINK they were some sort of water 
deflector. They were positioned up above the switches and wiring under the left 
end of the dash. I THINK one end of the S-curved part may hook around the dash 
vent duct somehow.

I even brought one with me to Parma, in the hope that we would have a "quiz,"
figuring that this would stump everyone.

One of my 73s came with one of these "sort of" installed, but it looked like it 
had been knocked out of position. Unfortunately, when I tried to put it back 
into a better position, I was unable to find a better position, so I really 
don't know how they were supposed to fit. I've actually tried to do this a 
couple of times, but still failed.  

King is just the name of the vendor that must have made this part for VW. I 
think I've seen them in at least 2 colors.

I'd love for someone to explain exactly how they were supposed to fit up there.

Jim Adney
Madison, WI 53711-3054

List info at http://www.vwtype3.org/list | mailto:gregm@vwtype3.org

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index] [New Search]