Re: [T3] NOS upholstery question

On 8 Nov 2003 at 16:40, Per Lindgren wrote:

> Aaron Clow wrote:

> >My parents had a 73 beetle they got after they sold
> >the squareback. It had the black & white houndstooth
> >cloth seats that you might have seen somewhere. I
> >haven't seen them since in any other VW.

> When I recently bought my 70 Square, the seller offered me a single
> front seat for a 73 type 3 i the same seat pattern you described here. I
> would also like to mention that my brother had a 1971 VW 1302L
> (superbeetle) that had these seats.

Cloth seat "upholstery" was a standard item in all years, but leatherette was
always an option. In the years 66-73 when type 3s were officially imported into
the US they were always equipped with the optional leatherette. I've heard that
they could be had with cloth if special ordered, but I don't know if that's
true. I've never seen anything other than leatherette.

Those listees who specialize in the early years will probably be more familiar
with the cloth upholstery since these cars were all privately imported and
would have arrived here with a wider variety of options.