Re: [T3] Squareback Rear hatch hinge problems.

Hi Folks,

We had to undertake this repair on my 64 1500S Squareback last year, and the
fault appeared all of a sudden - the hatch appearing to  open over far and
lock up solid. The hinge itself displayed stress cracks.

 We came to two conclusions :-

The failure is probably due to seizure and / or ovaling of one of the hinge
pins - so lubrication is a good idea if you can gain access . (The hinge
cover means that until it fails its a case of out of sight out of mind.)

The later hinges are strengthened in the area that cracked on mine -
certainly for me the later hinge could be used to replace the earlier item .
I'm guessing that VW spotted problem during the 60's - sadly I don't know
the year of the hinge that I obtained but when compared it shows an extra
long section of reinforcing down one side of the arm.

Mike Jones

1964 1500S Variant     -     Weston-super-Mare, Somerset, UK