[T3] Door check straps

One of the very first parts I ever had trouble with on my first type 3 was the
door check strap. I always felt that it didn't hold the door open very well.
I've also found that these are often broken or damaged, so that it was a part
that often needed repair or replacement. And yet, I don't think this topic has
ever come up here on this list, nor has anyone ever asked me for one, except
for a local Wisconsinite in the last month.

Over the years, I've accumulated a pile of broken/damaged door check strap
parts which I'd like to make replacements out of, but all of them have badly
damaged rubber bits. What I need is a source of little miniature rubber hockey
pucks, about 1" dia and 1/2" thick. I'd have to cut a slot thru them, but I
figure that should be possible one way or another.

Anyone got any ideas on something that these could be made from? If I don't
come up with something easy, I guess I could always make my own from castable
polyurethane, but that sounds messy and time consuming.

How many of you need a "new" door check strap, or could use just a replacement
"hockey puck?"