From: Jim Adney <jadney@vwtype3.org>
To: type3@vwtype3.org
Subject: Re: [T3] Squareback Rear hatch hinge problems.
Date: Sat, 01 Nov 2003 09:57:36 -0600

On 27 Oct 2003 at 17:36, Paul Wilson wrote:

> The rear hatch hinges on my 66 Squareback are bent. When the hatch is
> opened, it appears to go up too far, you then have to use a big screwdriver
> and pry between the hinge parts before it will close.

You'll have to take the rear door off before you even start this job. Then
remove the hinge cover(s) and possibly open up the rear end of the headliner.

This is a job that deserves a healthy dose of care and respect. Go at it too
quickly and you are likely to lose a finger, or worse. I use a small and medium
sized crowbar and a big screwdriver, as well as a special bending lever I made.
Even with these tools it's a scary job. It may be better with 2 people, but it
would have to be a helper you work well with and really trust.

Even skilled help may not be enough. Part of the problem is finding a way to do
this job while keeping the spring loaded hinge from slipping away from your
tooling and snapping at you.

There is probably a special tool that makes this job easy, but I haven't found
it yet.